Configuring Windows properly for NVR
NVR systems require special setup to improve reliability. Check the following setting on your NVR systems:
- Power save: OFF
- Windows Firewall: OFF
- Windows Automatic Update: OFF
- Check time
NVR should never go into sleep. Turning off the display is okay but if you want to monitor live videos, set it to 'Never'.
- Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
Firewall causes connection issues. Some cameras don't work with Firewall and some have very unpredictable behaviors. Don't use it.
- Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Customize Settings
Windows Automatic Update
Updating Windows have risks of software or driver compatibility issues. Turn it off.
- Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\Change settings
2 services need to be disabled manually to completely disable Windows Auto Update. To disable a service, follow the steps:
- Hit keyboard Win+R
- Input 'services.msc' then hit Enter
- Find services 'Windows Update' and 'Background Intelligent Transfer Service'
- Right click on them and click 'Stop', if they are running
- Right click on them and click 'Properties'
- Change 'Startup type' to 'Disabled'
Time is crucial for NVR. Incorrect time setting could cause unpredictable behaviors including recording problems or license failure. Make sure your time setting is correct.