What are adequate knowledge required to be a Genius Vision VAR?
IP video surveillance is the combination of video surveillance and IP technologies, which in turns, are closely tied with last decades of evolution of almost all information technologies (IT). For people who do not have basic IT training, it could be difficult to do the most basic tasks. Nevertheless, the combination with IT makes IP video extremely versatile to be applied into various projects.
IT industry is an ecosystem with multiple layers of supplier. Integrators, e.g. Genius Vision VARs, are frequently asked to take the responsibility to combine various components (computer, OS, network switch/cables, hard disk, camera, software, etc) and deal with their compatibility and maintenance issues. In this ecosystem, no component supplier will guarantee that their product works with all combinations of other components. A successful integrator will need to learn most of their experiences from trial and error.
Before applying to be a Genius Vision VAR, try to ask yourself following questions. If you can answer these questions with high confidence, then go for it.Do you know how to configure a newly purchased wireless router properly with office equipments, or mobile phones, so they can all connect to the Internet?
- Can you isolate and fix duplicated IP devices in the network?
- When a previous good computer won't boot, can you isolate the problem by examining each component?
- Can you tell roughly when a fan, hard disk, or a power supply, is about to break?
- Do you know what are the following terms: DHCP, LAN, WAN, TCP/IP, HTTP, DNS, SMTP, FTP?
- Do you have basic understanding to IP technologies that involves following terms: IP address, gateway, IP subnet mask, NAT, ipconfig, ping, Ethernet, CAT5, port forwarding, link aggregation, TCP connection, UDP, DoS, and DDoS?