What is the scope of Genius Vision technical support?
"Genius Vision technical support" refers to the technical assistance provided to users who adopts Genius Vision products. Due to the "central managing" nature of Genius Vision software products, which tends to be the final piece of puzzle of an integrated system, many users have confused about the idea of "technical support" and "troubleshooting". Although the two terms often has overlapped meaning, here we briefly explain the differences:
Differences to the other term
When provided by product vendors, "technical support" refers to the assistance of using that specific product.
When technical support is needed for a specific product, often the product in question has been identified as the cause of problem. In other words, the product in question will cause the same problem when put into different environment.
An effort to isolate a problem with unknown cause.
Troubleshooting is needed when specific cause of a problem is yet to be identified. It can be a problem anywhere ranging from cable, network, component, or even user error. Often this is a problem that is specific to an environment, meaning that it is not easily recreated elsewhere.
Following the explanation, we continue to define the scope of Genius Vision technical support. If you are looking to troubleshoot, we suggest you to read Troubleshooting Guide for more information. It is important for users to understand that many problems, even in network cables, can manifest as problems in software. Thus we do not provide troubleshooting directly in our standard technical support system, unless it has been proven the cause of the problem lies inside our software.
There are mainly three types of technical support provided by Genius Vision, more detailed explanation will follow:
- Standard technical support: Technical support covered by the purchase of software license.
- Free-software technical support: Technical support to Genius Vision free software or free trial software users.
- Paid technical support: Technical support effort that is outside the effort covered by "standard technical support".
Standard technical support
We strive in the hope to satisfy every customer, but many times physical reality do not permit us to do so due to resource constraints. So we do what is "commercially reasonable", as follows:
- Use of technical support forum only - For best efficiency, we use Discord-based forum, which allows live interaction (chat-style) among users. Please read this article to understand how to join the support forum. Please don't use phone-call or Skype to request technical support.
- Response can be delayed indefinitely - We do not provide a deadline for any technical support request response. In other words, we might not even be able to reply to you. This is, again, caused by resource constraints. To avoid not getting a response, please make sure you have read related guidelines and follow them accordingly. The more effective your report is, the more likely you will receive a response quickly. On the contrary, if your report is vague (and expect our engineer to request more information from you), you might not get any response.
- Applicability for paid customers - Standard technical support only applies to purchases within 12 months and only to IP video systems that has operation history less than 12 months. For example, if you try to add license to an NVR server that was established 3 years ago, we wouldn't provide technical support on this particular case.
- I have a problem using the software, help!
- Troubleshooting guide
- What is "actionable information" for problem reporting?
- What are the terms & conditions using Genius Vision software?
- Notice to System Integrators
Free-software technical support
Generally speaking, free-software users will receive the same support as standard technical support, but with different priority. What it really means is that if our engineers get hand full of standard technical support requests, free-software technical support requests will have to wait.
Requesting a refund
If you have purchased our product through PayPal, but are not satisfied with our technical support and would like a refund, we offer one-time unconditional refund for first-time customers only through PayPal within PayPal's refund time. After refund, you will no longer be able to purchase from Genius Vision. If you are not purchased through PayPal, however, this option won't be available.
More detailed information please check.
Paid technical support
If you want to receive support more than standard technical support, you will need paid consultant services. These services requires prepaid credits and is available only to our distributors.
- How to estimate fee required for consultant services? (including SDK tech-support, software-modification, or remote assistance)
Option to contact Genius Vision Value-Added-Reseller (VAR)
Genius Vision is a software developer. Our strength is at R&D and developing core software. If you feel that our technical support service is inadequate to your needs, we suggest you to look for one of Genius Vision Value-Added-Reseller:
- What’s the role of the Genius Vision VARs?
- What are the required technical skills to be a Genius Vision VAR?
- What benefits will VARs get?
- How to become a Genius Vision VAR?